June 2017 Newsletter
Our June Newsletter is jam-packed with upcoming events and recapping recent news:
- This Saturday, June 3, we’re holding a volunteer board painting event. Join us between 10:00 AM and noon at 2110 S. Salina Street. More information available here.
- We recap 40 Below’s recent “One House” event in which 40 Below Public Arts Task Force volunteers and volunteers from Ultraclean, Inc. worked to beautify Land Bank properties on Midland Ave. Volunteers cleaned up trash and overgrowth, painted over graffiti, and hung decorative boards prepared by the 40 Below Public Arts Task Force.
- NEHDA‘s Historic Hawley-Green Homes Tour scheduled for Saturday, June 17, includes a renovated Land Bank home purchased by the next-door neighbor who was interested in stabilizing his block. We’re excited for people to check out this success story in person! Tickets can be purchased here.
- Staff Changes – Proud to announce promoting Jake Thorsen to the position of Director of Operations!
- Buyers’ Workshop – June 27 from 6:00 – 7:30 at the Land Bank’s offices – 431 E Fayette Street in the third floor conference room. Come learn how to buy a Land Bank property and get your questions answered.
- Spring Cleanup recap: In the past year the Land Bank has completed over 11,100 individual lawn mowings and picked up over 6,900 cubic yards of trash and debris. Our crews are on a regular rotation, but if you see a Land Bank property in your neighborhood that needs attention, please call our office at (315) 422-2301.
- Community Gardens update: The Land Bank sponsored Syracuse Grows‘ 2017 resource drive, delivering compost and wood chips to dozens of community gardens across the City. We currently lease 14 lots to community gardens and the newest, leased to RISE, just broke ground in early May!
- City of Syracuse eliminates Land Bank funding from coming 2017-18 budget
- NY Land Banks – a five year progress report on land banks across the state
- Featured Property for Sale and Recently Completed Renovation
- Land Bank By the Numbers – our latest stats:
- Properties acquired to date: 1,338
- Properties sold: 441
- Private investment leveraged: $17.4 million
- Grant funds leveraged: $10.3 million
- Estimated annual taxes generated by properties sold and returned to the tax rolls: $805,000
- Demolitions completed: 175
(June 2, 2017)Read Newsletter